Monday, May 30, 2011

I want to be relevant....

Actually, what I want to be is asleep. But with the combination of too much ice tea today, my sweet Sandy Sue rustling around in her kennel trying to get her spot just right, and this blog percolating in my head...well, let's just say I'll settle for relevant....:)

rel·e·vant adj \ˈre-lə-vənt\

Definition of RELEVANT

1 a : having significant and demonstrable bearing on the matter at hand b : affording evidence tending to prove or disprove the matter at issue or under discussion <relevant testimony> c : having social relevance

I don't really know how I feel about attempting to be so well read and well versed that I can be the definition of "b"....but "a" and "c" somewhat interest me...

When the idea of wanting to "be relevant" began to niggle at my heart, what kept coming to mind was that I wanted to slow down long enough to be present in the lives of those around me...whether that be my daughter, my husband, my mother, or my friends...or my homeschooling peer group....or the kiddos that God gives me every other Sunday morning to share his Word with. By slowing down to be present, quite possibly I can become "relevant" in their lives...their issues and worries...their joys.

I have some sweet, dear friends that would tell me that I am already relevant to them...I know this because some of them heap undeserving praise on me for how much I am there for them, and how I have mattered in their journey. But would they still give me this praise if they knew just how much I was capable of, and then saw that they weren't getting nearly very much of it?

That brings me to "b".....having social relevance....the kicker here is that quite possibly, if I use my blog in way I have envisioned, a couple of things could happen...

I feel as though my blogging could help me grow in many ways....and some of those would help me in my quest to be relevant and present.....but to use my blog to become socially relevant enough to matter..to make a difference...to reach even just one person for Christ....to show even just one person that they matter....what if in doing all of this I run out of time to be relevant and present for those that matter?

I won't give up easily on this one...it may require a higher level of focus than I have used in quite a while...to add in all the "new stuff" while not failing at the "old stuff"...but that's okay..I'm up for it. As Annette Bening's character in "The President", Sydney Ellen Wade, says "I'm equal to the task, Sir".....



No comments:

Post a Comment