Monday, April 19, 2010

Twelve Little Blessings......

About a month ago, Todd and I were fortunate enough to be selected as a host home for a group of Senior High girls from New Hope's Revive Weekend for our youth ministry. I felt led to volunteer us for several reasons. First of all, although I teach Kindergarten there on Sundays, I have a special heart for young women, mainly due to a protectiveness I feel towards them...as if possibly by being there for them and sharing the experiences I had in my later teen and early adult years, I can prevent some of them from making some of the choices I did, and perhaps preventing even a tiny bit of pain....or even better, a whole lot of pain. Secondly, I know that many of them need all the love and support they can get...growing up is really tough sometimes, and not everyone has an idyllic situation at home. Thirdly, but just as important, it was for my sweet girl. During her young years, I want her to be able to look past where she is now, and see a glimpse of the amazing journey ahead of her...a journey that can grow her faith beyond what I even knew was possible at her age, or even their age. And that is exactly what she got this weekend....

We had a total of 10 Sr. High girls from both New Hope and a neighboring church where some of their friends are members, and 2 college student Group Leaders who drove in from Texas Tech. These two young ladies have such a special place in their heart for our Revive girls...this was at least their second year to lead a group, and according to them, one of their favorite weekends of the year.

I was asked by Jessica and Molly, our group leaders, to join in the Bible Studies with them...what a privilege that was! It was the first up close look that I had ever had at girls their age with such a heart for The Lord! These girls are so very grounded and centered, and seem to strive to keep their faith at the forefront of how they live their lives, in the very schools and peer groups where that very faith is so often under attack, both directly and indirectly. They incorporate prayer in their daily lives for their friends who are hurting, for their families that have not yet found God in the way that they have, and for The Lord to work in their lives in ways they cannot even begin to imagine. They are kind, loving, and thoughtful....and I have a very special place in my heart for all of them now...

I hope that I was able to give as much to them as they did to me...both for myself and for Zoe....I can say without reservation that although she did not understand everything that was going on around her, she did know that for this entire weekend, this whole group of girls along with many other teens from our church, were all about Jesus...willingly and with passion. And I could not ask for more....

1 comment:

  1. Please, continue to write about your inspirations and adventures. You help others in a positive way. I present the Sunshine Award to you, come check it out at http://livingloveinglaughing.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunshine-award-very-appreciated.html .

    ReplyDelete